Saturday, August 2, 2008

Charcoal

As I already mentioned in these parts, I enjoyed Latitude a lot. The devil is in the detail. Here's one of those details. The festival has an Artist in Residence. I like that. They don't have to do it. It will make no difference to the thousands of people who attend the festival, most of whom will be completely unaware that it happens... but it's still a lovely thing to do.

I only know that such a person existed because she came and introduced herself before my reading and asked if I'd sit for her. I said I would if there was time. As it was, finding time became immaterial because she crouched in the wings during the event and did a sketch then. I really like it.



You can see more of Lorna May Wadsworth's drawings at the appropriately named website: LornaMayWadsworth.com.

2 comments:

KJ said...

That's utterly fantastic!
A man named Galen Wainwright does a similar thing at Ginlik in Sheperds Bush, usually for musicians. He draws an image during each song with a projection on wall so you can watch him work.
Seeing an A4 drawing created in such a short space of time (if you consider that each song lasts around 3 to 4 minutes) is a wonderful thing to watch and a piece of art is a perfect souvenir to take home at the end of the night.

Anonymous said...

Awesome picture!! I can really see the likeness too :o)