Friday, May 1, 2009

Tonight! 10pm! BBC2!

The final episode of Genius goes out tonight. 10pm. BBC2. The title for this entry was your clue.

Here's a preview clip:


As you can see, Stewart Lee is the guest. I think Stewart might well be the finest live stand-up in the country. If you've seen his recent BBC2 series you'll know just how smart and clever he is. It was certainly a real pleasure to work with him.

He was a guest on the first series of the radio show too. Because the show was brand new back then people were sometimes suspicious of the format, perhaps thinking it was a combative show (in which case, bringing in members of the public to spar with a professional comic would be ridiculous) but Stewart saw that they were the heroes of the piece straight away.

"This is bound to go to TV soon," said Stew, "can I come back and do it again if it does?"
"If it does, we'd love to have you," said I.

And four years later we did just that. It's nice when the world works. Fab.

9 comments:

Numpty said...

Meh, iPlayer. I love how the BBC are happy to have me pay to watch their programmes on TV here in Ireland, but not allow me to watch them on iPlayer.

Dee's Diary said...

Thanks for a great series, Dave. All of the guests were amazing, and the ideas extraordinary. I'm sure you'll get another series, you deserve it.

Carole said...

Great stuff, loved the show. Liked the swim lane idea the best, but as it takes me 50 mins to swim a mile in the local pool, it would be a long, long day getting to work five miles away!

Carole

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know why the Frank Skinner episode is the only one unavailable to watch on the iPlayer? Typically, it's the only one I haven't seen. Grrr.

get in here said...

Top show, top guest Mr G. Genius.

danielhockley said...

Turns out that Dan chap really is a Genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwWI1aHpzy0

q said...

Final episode = time for Genius to hit the states??? Come on, BBC et. al.

Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to be in the audience for two of the radio recordings. The best idea? I always liked the helium filled postage packaging...perfectly demonstrated by the studio experiment + 20 odd helium filled ballons + 1x CD case...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having me on the show, i think the media frenzy has subsided and people in meetings have stopped asking me if i,ve swum there...great series.